Thursday, August 19, 2010

and all I can think about is scarves

It's almost September. It is. It's crazy. The best part of Utah is the fall. I dare anyone to tell me that Utah in the fall isn't the most perfect place on earth. Since there are so many colleges around (like billions) the football games start up, people start wearing the shirt that represents their "team" and for your information, I'm neither Blue nor Red. (I don't want to decide!) But I do love my scarves. The girls and I share nearly 30 scarves. Don't be jealous.

There are a few other things I love about the coming season. One of them being the apples that grow so abundantly in the fall. I just love homemade apple pies. Once upon a time my friend Tori and I ordered 2 huge boxes of apples to be delivered to us in Las Vegas. We were new mothers, new wives, new homeowners and we thought we'd be ever-so-domestic by making some pie filling to freeze for the year. We purchased an apple peeler that clamped onto my counter top and away we went.  It started out fun, we laughed and talked as we went, always making sure to keep the leftover peels tidily in a garbage can. After about an hour of cranking that peeler things changed. Babies were crying, kids noses were running, my phone kept ringing and those apples, those boxes of apples...well, they seemed to be multiplying. Kind of like the loaf of bread and the fish story.

I looked at Tori and she looked at me and we both decided that one box of apples for the pies was enough. I think we spent 10 hours that day, turning only 1 box of those apples into carefully trimmed, thinly sliced, cinnamon and butter seasoned apple pie filling that we packed neatly in our freezers. Granted, I used every one of my 100+ bags of pie filling, but I don't think I'll do that again. Berries?  Yes. Things that need to be peeled and lemon'd and seeded and sliced?  Not so much.  I will say that everyone of my neighbors thought I was the Apple  Queen, and all of the sick ladies at church came to expect a pie for the next year from me, and that thought makes me almost want to take on this challenge again. It is, you know, almost apple season again.

I also love walking in the crisp air without mosquitoes. I hate mosquitoes.  What are mosquitoes even for?  Why are they on the earth? Can anyone fill me in on this mystery?  I have to wear a scarf now in the evening when I go walking and it isn't even really cold enough for that. I have to protect my neck, you know. See, and we've come full circle. It really is all about scarves.

9 comments:

Dani said...

Mosquitoes are the scourge of the earth -- they along with flies, biting gnat, poison ivy and some other things that I can't think of right now need to be eliminated from the face of the earth. Okay, maybe the flies can stay since they help with the decomp and stuff, but only the few necessary. ;]

Alli Easley said...

Mosquitoes are death. I hate them so much. They make me have a frowny face.

Tori said...

K, that's freaky. I was just telling someone YESTERDAY about our pie-making fiasco. Remember how it stained our jeans? Or was that your jean skirt?

I ALMOST want to do that again but I think I would have to do it with you or they just wouldn't taste very good. ;)

Allison Easley said...

Dude worse, it stained my jean JUMPER. Sick. Jumper dresses are terrible.

Also, yes, let's do it together, because I don't know if I'd do it with anyone else either.

Eliza said...

fall is favorite and when you bake your next apple pie bring it over to my house. Thx.

Allison Easley said...

Oh I mosdefly will. Heck, I might just make you come over to help. Muahaha.

The Peshlakais said...

haha apologize that for the longest time your blog was private and i couldnt look at it.. and now that i can.. you are officially added to my list.. sorry cuz! Love ya!

Allison Easley said...

Haha, I love you Rach!

K. H. said...

the mosquitoes of Tricities seem to have gone radioactive this year. i've had allergic reactions to them all summer. so fun!