Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thoughts On The Day

It's 12:30 am, the wind is blowing in through my open window, a storm is coming in from the west. Our kids are all home. Every night I walk around the house making sure everyone is in their places. Jonah, Casey and Harper slumber in their room, a movie on the dvd player every night. Twilight and Jingle All The Way are faves. Who cares what they watch, they're the ones who go to sleep fastest.

My girls, they're both in the yellow room. Tv on falling asleep happily to QVC. Who are these people?  I hear Tiffany and Mackenzie, 18 and 16 respectively, happily chatting about something they want, or something that is just plain absurd. I remember the days when they were little, maybe 3 and 5, talking in their bunk beds about how they were going to make up dances and play store and house the next day. Nothing has changed except their ages. They're the same today as they were back then. 

Only Lola gets to fall asleep in my bedroom. I can't resist her. None of us can. She doesn't even crawl yet, and she's just turned 8 months old. The reason?  Every one of us carries her around all day long. She hasn't touched the floor in a very long time. She's a princess and she deserves it. She makes us all smile with her perfectly round face and dark brown long curly hair. I could just gobble her up like a honey baked ham. 

Scary things happen. They do. Every single family has drama. Every teenager goes through a bit of a struggle. Every heart gets broken, every cry eventually turns into a laugh. We're a family. We're puzzle pieces that fit together in love. That's all I could ever want.


No comments: